Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Luzira Prison

I have been staying with the prison chaplain and his family. His name is Johnson, his wife Christine and their two children patience (5) and peace (7 months). These could be the cutest kids in Africa, not kidding. We have been getting to know the college students from Bugolobi. Today we went with the college students to the mens and womens prisons, which was amazing. There were about a thousand male prisoners who came to the service. The Ugandans sang some songs and tore up those drums. Some of the best music I have heard. There were quite a few people from the service who received the Lord. In the Afternoon we went to the womens prison. When we got their the women were already singing and playing drums. I thought the music at the mens prison was good, but it did not compare to these women singing. They sang with such hope and joy that can not be explained in mere words. That is what has been going on in my life here in Uganda. It has been amazing to say the least and I look forward to see what God has in store for the rest of the trip.

2 comments:

Sharon Slade said...

It is so good to hear from you and really exciting to hear about some of your experiences. I hope you are taking a lot of pictures to share with us when you get home.(Can't wait to see the cutest kids in Africa!) Does Uganda put people in prison for petty crimes, owing money they can't repay, etc.? If you have time next time you post I'd be interested to know more about the prison situation. Please tell Johnson and Christine that your parents say thank you for letting you stay with them.
Love you lots, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I like it Slade. I like what I'm reading. "Patience" and "Peace" - great names. Do they live up to their names at all?